Your hair showcases your personality and style so it is no surprise that having a luxurious, shiny and silky hair is the dream. Regular visits at the hair salon and professional nourishing hair treatments will usually aid your hair in maintaining healthy and lustrous texture, but keeping the frizz and dryness at bay has become much harder during the Coronavirus pandemic.
Why Is My Hair So Dry?
When you start to notice your hair texture changing and becoming dry and brittle, there might be several underlying causes. In general, dry hair develops because your hair struggles to either receive or retain enough moisture. It can affect men and women of every age, with wavy and curly hair being naturally more prone to it.
Hair structure consists of three layers, with the outermost layer, known as the cuticle, containing healthy, natural oils, which protect the inner layers and give it the lustrous, shiny look. When your hair is damaged or struggles to keep moisture, the outer layer breaks down, which exposes the inner layers of your hair, and causes it to look dry and dull.
What causes dry hair?
- Heat is always the main suspect – the daily use of hair straighteners and curling irons can quickly cause the cuticle’s layers to separate and peel from the hair
- Natual elements – we can’t always avoid the effects of the natural elements such as wind, dry air and sun, but taking measures such as using SPF hair products, wearing a hat on the beach or when the weather gets colder, can give you that extra layer of protection
- Frequent blow drying – we all love a stylish blow dry, but doing it too often, especially when the styling products contain alcohol, can damage your hair strands.
- Over-washing your hair – yes, it is possible to overwash your hair and strip its natural oils with harsh shampoo. Don’t let your hair stay dirty but leave some time between washes.
- Dyes, perms and relaxers – any chemical treatment will undoubtedly cause some changes in your hair structure. That’s why we have special hair product lines, designed for colured hair.
How to Keep Your Hair Hydrated at Home
Getting a professional moisturising hair treatment is a life-saver for hair, which has suffered heat or colouring damage. Because of the COVID-19 lockdown in the last few months, access to such treatments has become impossible, and your hair might be displaying signs of dryness and losing its lustrous sheen.
However, having a salon-quality, deep-moisture treatment to replenish and reinvigorate your hair is possible at home, with Paul Edmonds’ 4- step, professional routine.
1. Start with a moisture treatment (Shu Uemura Urban Moisture)
Prepare a clean mixing bowl and measure a scoop of the Shu Uemura Urban Moisture Hydro-Nourishing Treatment hair masque. Enriched with Moringa Extract and Red Algae, which is a source of calcium, magnesium, and antioxidants, this Shu Uemura masque gives fundamental nourishment to brittle, dry hair.
2. Mix with Essence Absolue
Next, add 3 to 5 pumps (depending on hair length and damage) of Shu Uemura Essence Absolue to the mixing bowl. Stir to mix well with the moisturising hair masque. Enriched with precious Japanese camellia oil, the Essence Absolue is a miracle product, a staple for hair professionals, which protects from 230 degree Celsius heat, adds shine, nutrition, softness and controls frizz.
3. Apply the mix to shampooed hair and twist in
Once you have the mixture prepared, it’s time to apply it on your hair. Scoop as much as you need, and softly massage and twist into your sectioned hair. Make sure that the creamy paste is covering individual hairs, not just the top and bottom of your hair.
4. Leave in for up to 45 mins then rinse
When you have applied the mix generously and covered your hair, twist all strands and secure to the head, making sure that the hair is not being pulled too much, which can cause you a headache. Leave the treatment in for 30-45 minutes, depending on how dry your hair is, then gently rinse and blow dry, using the low-heating setting on your hairdryer.
There is no need to wait, you will see results immediately. Your hair will look hydrated, shiny and full of life. Our bespoke mix of in-salon treatments is available to buy, so you can do this fantastic hair treatment at home, using Shu Uemura.
For more professional hair tips and trick follow our Instagram @pauledmonds217.